The first mention of the old village in the valley of the River Svitava dates back to 1255. By 1371 it had grown into a small town. The Baroque Church of Saint John the Baptist was built on the southern edge of the town in 1717 on a small elevation on the site of an original Romanesque temple. A cuboid tower protrudes from the western façade of the church. A number of Romanesque structural elements with stonemason’s marks and two Gothic fragments have been found in the masonry. A fort was built in the village at the beginning of the sixteenth century, evidently standing on the site of the residential building in the yard of today’s farm.

A statue of Saint Sebastian dating back to 1713 stands in the town square.

Remnants of the foundation walls and trench of Doubravice Castle, built in the thirteenth century by the Lords of Doubravice, can be found about 1.5 km from the middle of the town on a rocky spur above the Nešporka Stream. The castle began to fall into disrepair during the times of the Lords of Sovinec, and was stated as derelict in 1528.
Doubravice Ostrich Farm, which is engaged in the rearing and selection of African ostriches and the production of ostrich meat and other products, is important to the agricultural tourism of the region.